The Anti-Saloon League of America led the Prohibition movement that turned the United States "dry" in 1920. Moving its headquarters to Westerville in 1909, the League built a publishing house that distributed books, pamphlets, and periodicals. These publications helped win Prohibition in 1920 and made Westerville the "Dry Capital of the World."
Reverend Purley Baker, the League's superintendent, bought 11 acres in 1910 and built a home at the corner of Park and Grove streets. League founder Howard Hyde Russell built a house next door that was later owned by Ernest Cherrington, general manager and chief of publications. These and four more houses along Grove Street were dubbed Temperance Row. This area grew during the 1910s into a neighborhood of 27 homes built and occupied by leaders and workers of the Anti-Saloon League. Prohibition ended in 1933 with the repeal of the 18th Amendment.