In 2004, Ohio voters were surprised by flawed recount procedures, a lack of routine post-election audits, and a lack of ballot and voting-machine security plans. Long lines of voters and voting-machine malfunctions also plagued many urban counties.
In 2008, the Secretary of State's office has worked in partnership with local boards of elections to craft bipartisan security and risk mitigation standards for all boards of elections; secure voting machine transport procedures; a post-election audit process; detailed recount procedures; and a host of other best practices to improve the security of Ohio's elections.
- Jon Craig - Columbus reporter, Cincinnati Enquirer
- Dale Fellows - Member, Lake County Board of Elections
- Candice Hoke - Director, Center for Election Excellence
- Curt Mayhew - Campaign Finance Administrator, Ohio Secretary of State
- Tom Worley - Chief of Staff, Ohio Secretary of State
December 2, 2008