The Ohio Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday Commission was established to recognize Dr. King's significance as a civil rights leader and to honor Ohioans who work to promote diversity and eliminate discrimination through nonviolent methods. Each year, the Commission presents awards to Ohioans to celebrate the life of Dr. King, whose teachings encourage nonviolent actions to secure equal rights for all Americans.
As part of the celebration, Ohio students who won their age group at the statewide oratorical contest will present their speeches.
- National Black MBA Association Columbus Chapter, Educational Excellence Award
- Minister Kyle Earley, Social Justice Award
- Girl Scout Troup 397, Youth: Capturing the Vision of MLK Award
- Mahoning Valley Sojourn to the Past, Youth: Capturing the Vision of MLK Award
- Dr. Young-Chen Lu, Governor's Humanitarian Award