In 1927, a man of vision and foresight became intensely interested in the possibilities of roadside historical marking. In Marietta, Ohio E. M. Hawes founded a small sign business in an old organ factory, and named it Sewah Studios, his name in reverse. With his interest in sales, copy-writing, and history, Mr. Hawes wanted to develop a roadside marker program for automobile tourists.
About 1929, the Ohio Revolutionary Trail Commission wanted plaques to mark the Old Revolutionary Trail throughout the state. Because cast aluminum was so new, the Commission was skeptical about the new innovation's durability. It took all the resourcefulness at his command for Hawes to persuade the commission to at least look and consider the idea.
Today, with over twenty-two employees Sewah produces more than twelve hundred markers per year with sales in excess of two million.