Shrum Mound is one of the last remaining conical burial mounds in the city of Columbus. At 20 feet high and 100 feet in diameter, it was probably constructed about 2000 years ago by the prehistoric Adena people. Native Americans of the Adena culture were some of Ohio's first known settlers. Primarily hunter-gatherers, they lived in the upper and middle Ohio Valley during the late Archaic and Early Woodland periods, roughly 1000 B.C. to 100 A.D. The Adena built significant burial mounds made of earth, stone, remains of deceased members and token objects, near major waterways such as the mound here near the Scioto River.
On July 7, 1929, this site was dedicated in memory of James E. Campbell, governor of Ohio from 1890-1892. Campbell Memorial Park and Shrum Mound were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.