AGENDA December 14, 2017 10:00 a.m.
Riffe Center, 31st Floor
I. Call to Order & Roll Call of Commission Members, Advisory Committee
II. Approval of Minutes from September 21, 2017
III. Impact of HB86 and Subsequent Sentencing Legislation on the Incarcerated Population in Ohio Fredrick Butcher, PhD, Case Western Reserve University
Krystel Tossone, PhD, Case Western Reserve University
IV. Appellate Review
V. Committee Reports & General Updates
a. Juvenile (Paul Dobson)
- The committee received a project proposal from the RFK National Resource Center for Juvenile Justice for a multi-county site review of juvenile probation in Ohio. The committee continues to evaluate the best approach to systemic juvenile probation reform and will hear more from those involved with JDAI at its January 2018 meeting.
- Juvenile Data - the committee will hear from Case Western Reserve University researchers at the January 2018 meeting, as they have completed the evaluation of the impact of HB86 and other enacted sentence reform measures.
- Legislative analysis and/or input - expectations and protocol - for the committee and in general.
b. Sentencing/Criminal Justice (Judge Spanagel)
- Bail Reform - The report and recommendations from the Commission have generated interest in potential legislation and the Supreme Court of Ohio will consider the recommendations in the 2018-2019 rule review period.
- Reagan Tokes Act (HB365, SB201, SB202)
Testimony on 11-28-17 Chapter 2929 Recod recommendations - Tim Young
- T-CAP - Judge Zmuda & Marta Mudri, Ohio Judicial Conference
- 2929.15 - Marta Mudri, Ohio Judicial Conference c. Data (Lisa Hickman, PhD - Research Specialist)
- The data workgroup will provide content expertise and understanding of the legal landscape in Ohio to ensure that data produced by, and for, the Commission serves to enhance and inform our work. Knowledge about data analyses is not needed (but welcome).
d. Externs (Lisa Hickman, PhD - Research Specialist)
- Shelby Slaven, Moritz College of Law Master of Study in Law, 2018 & John Glenn College of Public Affairs Master of Public Administration, 2018
- Hayden Capace, Moritz College of Law Grad 2017 & admitted to the Bar November 2017
- Shane Farnsworth, Development Director - Morrow County & John Glenn College of Public Affairs, MA Candidate 2018
- Mike McManaway, Assistant Director - School Employees Retirement System of Ohio & John Glenn College of Public Affairs, MA Candidate 2018
VI. Director's Report
a. Staffing Update
b. NASC 2018
c. JRI 2.0 - Patrick Armstrong and Carl Reynolds